India Uncut

This blog has moved to its own domain. Please visit IndiaUncut.com for the all-new India Uncut and bookmark it. The new site has much more content and some new sections, and you can read about them here and here. You can subscribe to full RSS feeds of all the sections from here. This blogspot site will no longer be updated, except in case of emergencies, if the main site suffers a prolonged outage. Thanks - Amit.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

For the readers

MJ Akbar reacts to the government decision to allow facsimile editions of foreign newspapers to be printed in the country:
I am delighted with the news ... Vindicated is too strong a word, I was not at war with the Government. I was merely making a point of principle that under Article 19 of the constitution, one has the freedom to publish information. A Government cannot withhold this right without damaging the Constitution. With this, 50 years of fiction has been exposed and I must congratulate S Jaipal Reddy and Manmohan Singh who led this change.
Well, now that the government is taking steps towards modernity, Mr Akbar, allow me to make one request of you: please enable the Asian Age website to be viewed in Mozilla Firefox. I use Firefox – in fact, I cannot use IE as my old khatara PC gives me trouble whenever I open multiple windows on it – as do 37% of my readers, according to my latest sitemeter stats. That is why I never link to the Asian Age on this site, which is a pity. So revamp your website please, and show the same respect to your online readers as you do to your offline ones.

Update: Prabhu writes in to point me towards a Firefox extension called User Agent Switcher, which allows Firefox users to browse some sites that otherwise allow only IE.
amit varma, 10:44 AM| write to me | permalink | homepage

I recommend: