India Uncut

This blog has moved to its own domain. Please visit IndiaUncut.com for the all-new India Uncut and bookmark it. The new site has much more content and some new sections, and you can read about them here and here. You can subscribe to full RSS feeds of all the sections from here. This blogspot site will no longer be updated, except in case of emergencies, if the main site suffers a prolonged outage. Thanks - Amit.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Yngwie Malmsteen of typing

Three times in my life I have decided that I'm going to learn how to play the guitar, surely the only barrier between me and a place in the Billboard Top 100 charts. Each time I've bought a damned guitar, learnt chords for one week, and then got bored and moved on. Immense lack of commitment.

And my heart always burns when I see guitarists shredding it up, as I stare at their fingers doing their thing, contemplating how, but for the lassitude I have surely inherited from the Bengali part of my genes, I too could have played like that. All the groupies would then have lined up outside my limo, and I would have dismissively waved them away, saying: "I must blog now."

So why do I tell you this now? Well, it's because a few moments ago I observed my fingers typing something and I realised, darn, I'm fast! I'm a two-finger typist -- I use the index finger of each hand -- and yet, I'm pretty much as quick as regular typists. And boy, looking down, I just realised why: I'm the Yngwie Malmsteen of typing!

So if I'd spent the tens of thousands of hours I've spent typing on practising the guitar, I could have had those groupies outside my limo. But I wouldn't have had a blog. What excuse to give then?
amit varma, 4:35 PM| write to me | permalink | homepage

I recommend: