India Uncut

This blog has moved to its own domain. Please visit IndiaUncut.com for the all-new India Uncut and bookmark it. The new site has much more content and some new sections, and you can read about them here and here. You can subscribe to full RSS feeds of all the sections from here. This blogspot site will no longer be updated, except in case of emergencies, if the main site suffers a prolonged outage. Thanks - Amit.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Bipasha's grandeur and Aishwarya's grace

Jai Arjun Singh writes in with some examples of purplocity. First up, Indiatimes says of Bipasha Basu:
The thunder of her thighs and grandeur of her openness is just matchless.
And then, about Aishwarya Rai:
And though she takes off little, she makes you visualize the beauty she keeps graciously hidden.
Stunning.

Meanwhile, in a reaction to my previous post on purplocity/verniness, my good friend Prem Panicker writes in:
Prof walks into creative writing classroom, passes out copies of an unsigned essay, invites criticism.

The students spend the next 45 minutes ripping the piece apart, with merited savagery -- it really is bad.

Prof says, "I'd like you guys to know I wrote that piece".

Sudden silence in classroom. Prof: "I stayed up all night, drinking coffee by the quart, writing this -- and I took care to see that not one facet of bad writing was omitted. What beats me is how you buggers toss these things off in half an hour a day!"

Now you know where his students went.
This kind of writing is beyond bad, actually. It doesn't contain the typical elements of bad writing: the cliches, the archaicisms, the redundancies etc. Instead, like a Ramsay Brothers film, it has a badness that almost has an artfulness about it, that is enjoyable because it is simply so over the top. "[T]he beauty she keeps graciously hidden." "The grandeur of her openness." Could you or I come up with those if we tried? I don't think so!

(Previous posts with Purplocity/Verniness: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24.)
amit varma, 5:42 PM| write to me | permalink | homepage

I recommend: