India Uncut

This blog has moved to its own domain. Please visit IndiaUncut.com for the all-new India Uncut and bookmark it. The new site has much more content and some new sections, and you can read about them here and here. You can subscribe to full RSS feeds of all the sections from here. This blogspot site will no longer be updated, except in case of emergencies, if the main site suffers a prolonged outage. Thanks - Amit.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Peshawar to Calcutta

Just off the corner of Namak Mandi, I get chatting with a gentleman named Mohammad Anwar, who makes and duplicates keys. As soon as Mr Anwar learns that I'm from India, he asks , "Have you heard of Sher Shah Suri?"

"Er, yes," I reply.

"Well then, you must know that he built the Grand Trunk Road, which connects Peshawar to Calcutta. Now, that Grand Trunk Road, to me, is more of a truth than India and Pakistan."

He nods wisely here. I nod as well.

(The GT Road actually goes beyond both Peshawar and Calcutta, but you get the point.)
amit varma, 3:11 AM| write to me | permalink | homepage

I recommend: