India Uncut

This blog has moved to its own domain. Please visit IndiaUncut.com for the all-new India Uncut and bookmark it. The new site has much more content and some new sections, and you can read about them here and here. You can subscribe to full RSS feeds of all the sections from here. This blogspot site will no longer be updated, except in case of emergencies, if the main site suffers a prolonged outage. Thanks - Amit.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Hello lobster

In a continuation of the discussion I began in this post, Michael Higgins writes in:
An anecdote is a single data point, and you can't get a curve from that.

However, I think there is another possiblity here that needs to be considered. Sometimes only outsiders can really sense the magnitude of a problem because the insiders' perception has been warped gradually over time. People too close to the scene of a problem might tend to discount this anecdote and this one and that one over time as exceptional when they are adding up to data that might indicate a problem.

Here is an analogy: if you place a lobster in very hot water, he will try to escape right away, but if you put a lobster in cold water and raise the temperature gradually, it will eventually die, never really sensing a problem. But I'm not at all saying that I can tell India's problems better than those who live there. I'm just saying that you need to collect data and use statistics to really make sense of a statement that "things really aren't so bad as they seem in the papers."

Bingo. And now, for some strange reason that I can’t figure out, I feel like a lobster soup. I don’t look like one, I think.
amit varma, 4:25 PM| write to me | permalink | homepage

I recommend: