India Uncut

This blog has moved to its own domain. Please visit IndiaUncut.com for the all-new India Uncut and bookmark it. The new site has much more content and some new sections, and you can read about them here and here. You can subscribe to full RSS feeds of all the sections from here. This blogspot site will no longer be updated, except in case of emergencies, if the main site suffers a prolonged outage. Thanks - Amit.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Lawless in India

Reagarding my earlier post about an incident in Bangalore, Vikram Goyal writes in:
I am surprised that you are surprised that this kind of thing happened in Bangalore. Surely, you would realize that something like this can occur anywhere in India. I have spent 4 years in Bihar, 2 in Mumbai, 6 months in Bangalore and about 18 years in North India and I can say with a fair amount of conviction that Bangalore or Bihar, India is the same everywhere and this is what maddens me the most.

Once, while travelling from Agra to Delhi on a train, I got robbed of all the money in my pocket (approx. US$ 800 + Rs 2000). The culprits? Guards of the Railway Protection Force (or is it the Railway Police Force?). I was recently overseas returned, full of optimism for my future in the country, carrying a laptop and wearing shorts and sandals; in short, a safe, naive and stupid target. They gheroed me (There were 5 gun-toting constables), threatened me, demanded my passport, threw away my laptop and in short almost pushed me off the running train till I agreed to hand over the money.

What could I do? Could I complain? To whom? The Police? The Railways? The same people who robbed me?
The last of those questions sums it all up, doesn't it?
amit varma, 1:06 PM| write to me | permalink | homepage

I recommend: