India Uncut

This blog has moved to its own domain. Please visit IndiaUncut.com for the all-new India Uncut and bookmark it. The new site has much more content and some new sections, and you can read about them here and here. You can subscribe to full RSS feeds of all the sections from here. This blogspot site will no longer be updated, except in case of emergencies, if the main site suffers a prolonged outage. Thanks - Amit.

Thursday, June 02, 2005

LK Advani achieves volumes

PTI reports that Ashok Singhal, the working president of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad, has accused LK Advani of "having betrayed the Hindus" by describing the demolition of the Babri Masjid in 1992 as the "saddest day of my life". Singhal was quoted as saying:
He [Advani] should publicly apologise. He has betrayed the Hindus of our country. Regretting now, particularly from Pakistani soil, is an insult to 90 crore Hindus.
Now, there is one thing I am trying to grasp here. I happen to know that India has not 90 crore Hindus but 90 crore, two-hundred-and-forty-two Hindus. I am obviously one of those 242 Hindus who were not insulted by Advani's expression of regret (though I have doubts about its sincerity). Where are the other 241? Do they, um, blog? Lunch, anyone?

PS: By "Hindu", I mean Hindu by birth. I am an atheist by practice. Actually, um, how does one practise atheism? By praying to an idol that isn't there, I suppose. Hughes Mearns would approve.
amit varma, 8:23 PM| write to me | permalink | homepage

I recommend: