India Uncut

This blog has moved to its own domain. Please visit IndiaUncut.com for the all-new India Uncut and bookmark it. The new site has much more content and some new sections, and you can read about them here and here. You can subscribe to full RSS feeds of all the sections from here. This blogspot site will no longer be updated, except in case of emergencies, if the main site suffers a prolonged outage. Thanks - Amit.

Monday, June 06, 2005

The Fly

My eyes almost popped out when I saw this headline on Mid Day: Fly donates eyes of bike accident victim. I clicked on it eagerly to read about the magnanimous fly, and discovered that Mid Day had merely shortened "family" to "fly". Such a letdown.

But imagine if it really was a fly, like the bug in Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis. Imagine this scene at a hospital:
Dr Tambe: Nurse More, I have a blind patient here, I need some eyes. Go and find a family.

Nurse More: Dr Tambe, there aren't any families around, but I have found a fly.

Dr Tambe: Sorry. What's that?

Nurse More: You don't have to apologise, Sir. I said, I've found a fly. Here he is.

[Fly steps forward from the shadows.]

Fly: Hi. I'm a fly, and my favourite actor is Jeff Goldblum. Unlike you humans, I have a heart. So I gouged the eyes of an accident victim and brought them here to donate to you.

(Fly hands over two bleeding eyeballs to stunned doctor.]

Dr Tambe: This is preposterous. Flies can't talk. Flies aren't so big.

Fly: [guffaws] Ha. Big it seems. You should see the pile of shit I've been sitting on all these years. Mumbai rocks!
Um, sorry, you weren't in the middle of a meal, were you? In future, please read India Uncut on an empty stomach.
amit varma, 4:12 PM| write to me | permalink | homepage

I recommend: